sweet family

sweet family

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I want to be a runner.

I used to run almost everyday. At least 5 times a week. I typically did at least 3 miles, sometimes 5. Confession, I can't even do one full mile right now. It frustrates me. I'm doing the Couch 2 5k plan right now. Partly so that I have a set schedule, partly to see what my abilities truly are. I'm on week three, I think. 2 repetitions of: run 1:30, walk 1:30, run 3:00, walk 3:00. I have timed out on 3 out of 4 3:00 running stretches. It's annoying. I always punish myself by running during my walk time, and I add all the time I "took off" back to the end of the routine. And I run it. I'm mad at myself, but I do it.

It might sound like I'm complaining, but here's the good part. For a long time, I have tried to think of people who "can't" run and run for them. This really humbles me and pushes me. Sometimes it's my granny. Or my uncle who had knee surgery recently. Or Christopher Reeves. Or someone I saw that day in a wheelchair.

Today, it was Adam Hubbs. Who is Adam Hubbs? Adam is a 16-year-old boy battling a rare blood disorder, who also recently suffered a stroke, paralyzing his left side. He lives in Illinois. I've never met him. David and I were watching ESPN the other night when they aired a segment on different athletes from different sport granting "wishes" from kids who are part of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. By the end of the segment, tears were streaming down my face. This kid grew up playing football. Even as a little league-er he dreamed of going pro. (Ok, so a lot of kids do, but that's besides the point.) Slowly, that was all stripped of him. But here he is, 16 years old, walking around as best as he can and trying to live fully.

That wasn't always the case, though. If you watch the segment, you'll hear this kid talk about how he wanted to die. He couldn't take anymore. He was miserable. And then he turned. Maybe he doesn't always have a 100% positive outlook everyday, but something he said really got to me and pulled on my heart:
"I guess God picked my because I'm strong enough and other people aren't."

Very simply put, but what courage and humility did that take! Yes, I should be grateful to be ABLE to run. Even more-so, I am grateful that God picked me for the life I've had. In my flesh, I would go back and change a lot of things. A LOT. I still get mad about things that have happened to me and to those around me in the past. But in my heart, I "know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him..." Romans 8:28.

I also know that God never promised things would be easy. In fact, he says the opposite!
"I have told you these things, so that me you may have peace. In this world YOU WILL HAVE TROUBLE. But take heart! I have overcome the world." -John 16:33

People say the road isn't always easy. Honestly, it rarely is. But how pretty the roads in heaven!

For Adam's segment with Tim Tebow:

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't go back and change a thing. Everything that has happened in your life has made you the person you are! "All the days ordained for me were written in your book before any of them came to be" ps 139:16

    ReplyDelete